Here is my Pinterest blog for the month of March (ok, so it's late, but let's pretend we hadn't noticed that!)
I tried out the Toblerone Cheesecake recipe for my Mummy in law for mothers day. Luke & I made it together while Hollie played with her Nanny & Grandad, so we had lots of FUN making it, but that was the highlight for me sadly, NOT the end result!
Being an American recipe, meant I had to experiment a little with some of the ingredients.
My first hurdle: Oreo Crumbs! Turns out Tesco don't sell them (or at least my local Tesco!) So I bought normal Oreo cookies & scraped the filling out myself before Luke crushed them for me! It felt soooo wrong wasting all the Oreo filling, but I also couldn't bring myself to eat them (my gluttony has SOME boundaries!!!)
After crushing the Oreos & leaving them to set in the pan, we got onto the topping! The only other thing I couldn't find was the right cream- so I used Tesco's own extra thick double cream, which seemed to make the right consistency. We then added our chopped Toblerone (that was a lot of fun to cut up small! Although also very tempting to just eat all the little chunks!) But here's where it gets weird- the recipe calls for Peanut Butter- a LOT of peanut butter (a whole cup!) which makes the consistency even thicker- but just completely over powers any other taste in the cheesecake. We waited the 3 hours for the whole thing to set, before adding the final layer of melted Toblerone with cream & hoped that might make it more chocolatey- but it didn't :o( So really, the whole recipe (in my opinion!) should be re-named the peanut butter cheesecake!
I may try it again with these alterations- no peanut butter (I'm not sure what I will substitute it with- maybe just more cream & chocolate?!?) & the layer on top called for melted toblerone but with cream mixed in, meaning it stayed a sauce like consistency & I think I will try it with just melted toblerone to see if the chocolate would then harden again to make a more exciting top layer?
All in all, if you like Peanut butter- then this may be the Cheesecake for you. If your looking for something sickly sweet but don't want a lot- then this could also be the recipe for you. But for me, this was not the magic ticket to taste bud heaven. Sorry Pinterest, but on this one, I am not sold!




No comments:
Post a Comment