Peonies

Saturday, 4 June 2011

In Laws!

So, I don't ever think it's 'plain sailing' when it comes to in-laws (why would it be- it's not like that with any of your other family either?!) but, once over the initial culture shock & adjusting to different family traditions & rules (note to self: fart is on the naughty list in Mumma Rosa's house!!!! Learnt that one the hard way!!! Hee hee!) & once you've learnt all the family dynamics etc. at least for me- I have found my in-laws to be a real blessing! I'm sure there's still times when we wind each other up- that's what families are for right? But I couldn't feel luckier with the in-laws I've landed now! I have another set of parents who love me like a daughter of their own & an extra 6 siblings (with more to come once A & H are married!) AND nieces & nephews too!!! They are all super cool, all completely different & all completely fantastic in their own right! I LOVE hanging out with them, learning from them & knowing that they are MY family!

Anyway- why the photo I hear you ask?! Well, because this week one of my brother in laws went above & beyond! Addi lent us his car so that we could get to the temple on Thursday night! It was so sweet of him, he dropped it off Wednesday night & then rode the tube over to ours Friday night to come & get it after Uni. L.E.G.E.N.D! (Plus, looking pretty smooth in this photo Ads!) It made our trip so much easier than worrying about trains or renting a car or my poor parents driving the WHOLE way round the m25 to come get us! 


Onto MORE in-law tales, my beautiful, oh so wonderful future sister-in-law Sandy went to the temple for the 1st time on Thursday night! It was so cool to be able to be with her & share those moments with her. I really couldn't ask for a better sister-in-law. I spent the last however many years calling Sandy my 'cousin' only because I couldn't get away with calling her my sister & now my dreams are coming true! (Thanks Jak!) Sandy is the first Blackwood 'in law' for us & well, she's made it the easiest transaction ever! (No pressure to Ethan & Elliot's future wives hey!) Plus, Sandy's other sister-in-law & I have decided that it kind of makes us related too (no, I don't want to hear any opposition to this, I will just poke my fingers in my ears & ignore you & your silly 'rules' on family if you oppose!) so I gain Emma as a long reaching sister-in-law too! Cool huh!
This is Hollie-Pop with her Auntie Sandy! I was talking with my other about to be sister-in-law Liane the other day about how strange it is how when you get married although you are only marrying one person, you are tying yourself to another whole family. It's quite a daunting thought! I remember an apostle talking on marriage & in-laws once (general, I know! Not exactly the best reference ever!) but anyway- I remember him saying 'research well' when marrying! I thought that was funny! But really, we were saying how you say 'YES' to one individual & suddenly you become a wife, a daughter-in-law, sister-in-law, Auntie etc. all rolled into one! I've been thinking about that more & more this week- & although I still think that's right in principle, I've realised that actually those in-law relationships develop with time, just like when you're dating! Some people are fortunate enough to be able to get to know their in-laws years before they even know they're their in-laws, others get slowly acclimatised during dating or long engagements & some have quicker courtships & engagements & have to continue developing those relationships long after 'I do'.
Although I've known Luke for coming up to 12 years, I think I really got to know my in-laws once I was married.Don't know why- that was just how it worked for us! I wasn't able to instantly refer to my parents-in-law as 'Mum & Dad', but now, we have history & memories together, I have felt their love in times of difficulty & hardship & they have celebrated with us in the good times too- along with my own parents & they really are my 'Mum & Dad' & 'Brothers & Sisters'. I feel like I can depend on them as heavily as I do my 'original' family & I know Luke is the same. Its a great feeling to have such a big family & to feel so surrounded & supported. Although it does make for a busy Christmas & I feel like my birthday list is never ending!!!!! I could go on about individual super qualities they all hold, but I'm afraid that might make this post a little too sickly sweet & will put anyone that does actually read this off ever reading another post again! 

As a little side note: I got to go to the temple with My Nanna Hannah (Dads Mum) again on Thursday too! This is a new thing for me & SUPER cool! She is rockin for an old gal! She still cracks me up with her one liners! (Again, I am lucky to have 2 super cool Grandmas & a brill Grandad too so Hollie has 3 Great Grandparents! Not bad hey!) Ok, enough- I'm probably getting boring!
I think we managed to get a photo of Hollie with everyone except Luke & I on Thursday! Ooops! Maybe next time!


1 comment:

  1. HAHA! Tippicle picture of me! Yo Meg take a pic of me looking sexy on the red sofa! Ha, Such a cool blog. Its like a diary! Nice one! LOve you! Always here for you! xx

    ReplyDelete